Monday, November 9, 2009

Mike D.'s Story

Blog buddy Mike D., a personal trainer, has a unique insight into the universal struggle with staying healthy and fit.

Once overweight himself, he is now a personal trainer (click HERE for his website)! He emailed weightisenough@helloross.com to share his story with all of YOU!

"My Story:

The reason I got into personal training is because I’ve struggled with weight for a good portion of my life. As a kid, I played ice hockey and stayed active but was still overweight. It wasn’t until my freshman year in high school that I truly got fit and lost the weight. The reason: I had to. In order to make the hockey team that year, my coach sat me down and told me that my weight was hindering my ability to play to my full potential. He told me that I had to lose 20lbs over the summer – before the season started – in order to make the team and play the upcoming season. Long story short, I lost the weight and kept it off…until I “retired” from playing hockey at the end of my junior year in high school. I stopped playing ice hockey, I stopped working out, I stopped eating right and within a few months I put back on 40lbs.

It was my senior year in high school, the year that’s supposed to be the most memorable, and I was the heaviest I had ever been. It was disheartening and I wasn’t happy with what I saw in the mirror. I saw and felt what it was like to be fit, and within a few months I had let it all go. So in December of my senior year in high school I made it my goal to lose the 40lbs by graduation. Through diet and exercise, by prom and graduation, I met my goal and dropped all the weight I had put back on. Since high school I’ve managed to keep the weight off.

So that’s how I got into personal training. I naturally gravitated towards it. I always knew I wanted to do something in the health field because I had always been active and really saw – and more importantly, felt – the benefits it had on the body and mind. So, when I entered college I declared Kinesiology (the study and art of human movement) as my major because I really wanted to be educated and understand how the body works and the science behind it. Then during college I got my personal training certification and have used my education to really hone my practice as a personal trainer.

Observations

There are three main observations I’ve made about people’s weight loss struggles:

  • Expecting too much: when people set off on a new fitness routine they tend to expect too much and are disappointed if their progress doesn’t reflect their expectations. People should embrace their progress no matter how small or big. Whether you lose 1-lb a week or 10-lbs a month, embrace that change and be conscious of your progress.
  • Over working your body: people tend to do way too much when they first set out to lose weight or start a fitness program. They severely restrict their calories and start going to the gym everyday and work themselves too hard. This will lead to burn out. The goal is sustainable weight loss, not rapid weight loss. People who set out to lose a lot of weight at once are more likely to gain it back than those who do it gradually over time. Start by setting short-term and long-term goals and make smaller changes to your diet and exercise program, gradually progressing to bigger changes and more challenging workout routines.
  • Diet: people do not realize the importance of diet. Nothing can correct a poor diet, no matter how much exercise you do. Start by keeping a diet log and write down everything you eat and drink – include calories when possible. This will make you more aware of what you are actually putting into your body. From there you will be able to see what you can change, take out and/or add in to make your diet more well rounded and suited for your weight loss goals. Remember, what you eat in private shows in public."

Everyone say, "Thanks, Mike D.!" and click HERE for his website!

Also share YOUR thoughts on what he shared in our COMMENT SECTION and share YOUR thoughts by emailing weightisenough@helloross.com!

:)

Ross

11 comments:

  1. Great post Mike!!

    Hey Ross, I featured you on my weight loss blog tonight http://superfatsuperchick.blogspot.com Thanks for creating this "spin off" blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "what you eat in private, shows in public"...great...now everyone knows for sure that I'm a cream puff! :)

    In all seriousness, thanks Mike D! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wow you look great!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mike for sharing... I loved everything; your personal story, and your observation. But honestly, I really dislike the word "DIET"

    My very good friend Nikko who loves exercise and eating right used to say to me "STF-UP" whenever I say "I'm on diet" or "This is my diet!" lol (btw, my friend has a very strong personality). Anyway, he would correct me and say "Think of it as a lifestyle, and stop singing that old song" Since then, I realized that "diet" was just a starting point where people begin to get fit and eat right then they fall off track, and start all over again in-order-words "DIET"

    ReplyDelete
  5. One week completed and it's a success. I walked every other day, with a goal of 20 min. each walk. I exceeded my goal: 31 / 36 /34 /36 for a total of 137 mins or 2.28 hours!! Honestly that time would have been spent sitting if Ross and WIE buddies had not kicked me in the ass. The scales say I lost 2.0 pounds, I'll accept that, but more important I think is that I stuck to my routine to move 4X a week and I did it!!! Hope you all are keeping up with your own goals. I am still eating healthy: fruit, veggies and fish (with a little turkey thrown in if I can catch him).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your line "what you eat in private shows up in public". Years ago I stopped hiding the candy I was eating. I realized I wasn't fooling anyone - they knew I had to be eating something to make me so big. I also stopped pretending I wasn't fat - I talked about it. Now, I'm doing something about it. I've changed my eating habits and I'm now down 44 lbs. Yes, for all of you who saw my earlier post on Weight is Enough, I've lost two more pounds. In fact, as I write this, I am waiting for it to get light enough to go for a walk. Like Artichoke Annie, I am trying to walk on a regular basis. Before I can talk myself out of it, I put on my sweats and my tennis shoes and head out the door. I have so much more energy and get so much more done around the house - it's amazing. In fact, after my walk, I'm going to paint my bedroom. I love all this energy!

    Keep up the good work everyone!

    ~cee

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you stay focused? Or not want to give up? I've lost 72 pounds in 2 years, I've got about 40 more to go. I haven't lost any since JUNE!! SINCE JUNE!!! I haven't gained any either but it is frustrating!!! Any words of advice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are huge fans of the fabulous Los Angeles based trainer, @HealthyGoToGirl. Weight loss is real, quick and maintainable and a personal trainer and/or nutritionist (like Robin) can really help motivate and produce real results. Our counselors believe in self-care from the inside out, including mind, body and spirit. Thank you for providing this forum Ross, it's so important for the public to stay healthy, get healthy, and maintain weight, diet, and lifestyles that foster this.

    - Danielle @LivingCareers
    www.livingcareers.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. LaNay - I'm in the same boat. I've lost 60 over the last year and a half and have 60 more to go. To be honest I have to admit that I haven't been pushing myself lately and am making excuses. I've been looking for a way to get back on track. So I love love LOVE that Ross spun off Weight Is Enough. It's like he was reading my mind! I hope that joining discussions like this will help me get more focused and back into the groove where I'm losing again.

    ReplyDelete